What Is a Pathway Light?
Pathway lighting is a safe way to travel along outdoor walkways and stairs. It is a beautiful addition to your outdoor landscape. They provide soft illumination that enhances the landscape without being too harsh. There are many options available for outdoor lighting for walkways. This includes downlights and flush lights, as well as garden lights, bollards, and flush lights.
What Are the Benefits of Path Lighting?
There are many benefits to using outdoor lighting for walkways, such as:
- Enhanced safety for visitors. Helping to prevent trips and missteps.
- Improved security to eliminate shadows that might hide intruders.
- Garden protection to prevent accidental trodding by revealing pathways’ boundaries.
- Shows elevation changes such as inclines or stairs.
- High-quality images of low-growing plants
- Enhance your home’s curb appeal with the right lighting.
- Ambient lighting for entertaining in the garden and other outdoor areas.
Different Styles of Pathway Lights
There are many styles of pathway lights. This gives you a peek at how to use path lighting to enhance your yard. You can make the best lighting plan for your outdoor space by understanding your options.
Common lighting elements include garden lights that are often found in DIY pathway lighting kits at your local home improvement shop. They are typically 18-24 inches high and have a canopy to reflect light onto gardens and paths. There are many styles of garden lights.
Downlights can be used to light pathways. These lights are usually mounted higher than the rest, and attached to a nearby tree, pole, or wall. They offer greater lighting coverage if they are higher than others. They also direct light towards the ground, like a moonbeam. This allows for gentle illumination of a section or pathway without causing side glare.
Bollard lights shine brighter than any other type of pathway light. These pillars spread light at 360°, as indicated by their name. They are a great option for locating the intersections and ends of pathways. Walking enthusiasts can enjoy a clear view of the paths by limiting their usage. They can add a stunning visual element to your landscape, much like garden lights.
Flush lights can be mounted on the ground, pathway, or low on a garden wall as the name suggests. Some flush lights have built-in eyelids that direct light in a specific direction and reduce glare. Flush lights can be used to highlight the path or other landscape features without being too distracting.
Pathway Lighting Design Tips
You can install your own pathway lighting if you’re handy. We will explain the basics of a DIY pathway lighting kit and why hiring an experienced lighting professional such as LD Lighting is the best plan. These tips will ensure you get the best results if you’re attempting the project yourself.
- Place lighting fixtures approximately 10 to 15 feet from each other to ensure that pathways are well-lit and not too bright.
- Get rid of the runway. Stagger lights on either side.
- Place downlights and bollards slightly off the path. This will allow for a well-lit pathway and highlight the garden elements that frame it.
- Keep lights directed away from your eyes and towards the ground. To reduce glare, limit the use of brighter bollard lighting.
A Note on LD Lighting
Although there are many options for lighting your pathway, low-voltage LED lights are the best. These bulbs have a longer lifespan than other types of lighting, and they consume less energy. An LED bulb can last up to 25,000 hours, while a halogen bulb can last for approximately 2,500 hours. An LED bulb typically uses 12 volts of electricity. Meanwhile, a halogen bulb can draw up to 120 volts. Although the initial cost of an LED is slightly more, it has the greatest energy savings and long-term durability.
You Can Lighten Up Your Pathways Like a Pro
To help guests navigate safely around your yard, it’s simple to put together a set of pathway lights. Many home improvement stores sell kits that include simple garden lights. This will help anyone who isn’t very handy get more light on their walkways. Lighting professionals are available to help you shine the light that highlights your landscaping while also ensuring safety and pleasant navigation.
LD Lighting can assess your lighting needs and create a customized energy-friendly lighting package to suit your home. Contact LD Lighting today to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our lighting experts.