Where to place outdoor security cameras? Outdoor security cameras are an integral part of any home or business security system, helping deter crime, providing evidence in case of break-ins or vandalism, and giving you peace of mind knowing your property is safe 24/7. However, simply installing outdoor security cameras won’t suffice – their positioning is just as crucial to their effectiveness as their quality and features.
Where to Install Security Cameras
First and foremost, you need to decide where you should place your outdoor security cameras. Here is a list of the most essential considerations when installing and using security cameras:
- Ground-floor windows and doors: Unfortunately, burglars often enter homes through the same means homeowners do: through ground floor doors or windows. To protect yourself against this potential entry point, install cameras on all ground-floor entrances and exits.
- Main stairs or hallway: Surveillance should be conducted in any central area that burglars could potentially use to enter your home, such as a hallway on the ground floor or staircase leading up.
- Common areas: It is possible to secure common areas like your living room or kitchen.
- Driveway: Install an outdoor camera on your driveway to keep an eye out for thieves.
- Yard: Deter thieves with both front and backyard cameras.
- Basement: While monitoring the basement is less critical than monitoring other parts of your home, if you have valuable items it might be worthwhile installing a security camera for added peace of mind.
- Garages and detached Buildings: Be sure to have a camera in your garage, especially if any expensive motorized equipment or tools are present. You can either invest in a range extender or use an unwired camera.
Once you’ve selected the rooms to secure, here are some other factors to take into account when installing your cameras.
- Hidden vs Visible: There is debate in the home security industry as to whether cameras should be kept hidden or visible. A survey of 86 burglary inmates revealed that burglars had different opinions on whether security cameras would deter them from robbing people of their belongings. Some said no house with visible cameras would be targeted while others thought it was an indication of wealth.
- Durability: Outdoor cameras must be able to withstand adverse weather conditions even if they are not waterproofed.
- Reflection and Glare: Bright rooms or those with mirrors can severely affect your camera’s footage quality. We suggest outdoor cameras use HDR (High Dynamic Range) to reduce sun glare. Indoor cameras should be pointed towards areas with indirect sunlight rather than direct sunlight.
- Number of cameras: If your security cameras use Wi-Fi, consider how many will impact your Internet speed. A second router may be worth investing for extra coverage if your teenagers will benefit from it – we guarantee it!
- Proximity to valuable objects: When considering where your security cameras should be placed, burglars will search for the most valuable objects in your home. What constitutes a valuable object? Unfortunately, it’s not necessarily that 1980s wedding dress that you think it is. According to Bureau of Justice Statistics data, 34% of burglars stole household appliances and portable electronics like TVs; another 31% took keys, jewelry, furs and briefcases; 2 the top items stolen were cash, jewelry, credit cards and electronics.
- Keep your cameras out of criminals’ reach: If possible, place them somewhere that cannot easily be stolen. This section offers some tips to help you do this effectively.
Placing and Using Security Cameras
Implementing security cameras effectively is essential for ensuring the success of any business.
- All points of entry should be secured: Place your outdoor security cameras at any point where burglars could potentially access your home, such as all doors and windows on ground level. You could even place cameras on the side of your house behind shrubbery!
- Monitor both outside and inside: People sometimes get so wrapped up in installing indoor cameras for their homes that they neglect to monitor the outside world as well. Outdoor cameras are essential tools in preventing crime from occurring – like defense players on a soccer team; the best defense is more effective than any offense. This sentiment holds true when considering installation of security cameras around your home.
- Cameras should be mounted high: For several reasons, positioning cameras 8-10 feet above ground is ideal. This will give you a full view of the room and make it harder for thieves to steal them. If your cameras only have local storage, be sure that they’re set up where burglars cannot reach them easily.
- Outdoor lighting is a beneficial idea: While infrared cameras are great for nighttime coverage, outdoor illumination can improve visibility. A camera with a spotlight will make night vision more vivid by showing color and detail. Ring offers affordable outdoor lighting that you can find on Amazon and their website.
- Avoid blind spots: Just as when driving, blind spots in homes can be tricky to capture on film. Don’t neglect that awkward-shaped corner in your living room just because it’s there!
- Outdoor cameras should be cleaned regularly: Pollen and dirt can accumulate on outdoor camera lenses, making it difficult to see. Regular disinfectant spray or wipe cleaning with a disinfectant spray or wipe ensures your footage remains as clear and crisp as possible.
Request a FREE Quote
At LD Lighting, we understand the critical role security plays in protecting your property and valuables. That is why we only utilize top-of-the-line cameras and equipment for maximum protection. Entrust your loved ones’ security to LD Lighting; contact us today to book a consultation!
Products and Services We Offer
As the best landscape lighting company, we promise to give you the best quality of work and bring your ideas to life. We offer services in:
- Screen Enclosure Lighting
- Landscape Lighting
- Permanent Holiday Lights
- Strip Lighting Systems
- Audio Systems
- CCTV Home Security
We offer other quality products as well.